Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Deployment Money


Well for those that do not know when military people, such as myself, get deployed, like I am, we get a little extra money. Our base pay becomes tax free. We also get some incentive pays and travel money.
What's funny about it is that when most people get deployed one of the positives they tell themselves is at least I will get some extra money. I have things I can pay off or save for. So I was thinking, and unfortunately I don’t have figures, do I really save money when I deploy. The obvious things come to mind. I don’t have to pay for gas to travel to work, I don’t have to pay for food, I don’t have to pay for things to drink, I don’t have to pay for a place to stay. Well with the exception of my wife at home and the stuff you always have to pay for such as, the mortgage, wife's gas, wife's food, etc. I should definitely be saving money but there are the things that my wife and I spend more on when I am gone for instance, my wife travels home more often to see family and then there is stuff that we by online that normally wouldn’t happen, electronics or gifts for the wife at home. So like I said I am sure I save money but its probably not as much as I could have if I would have been conscious about it from the get go.

So just wondering, does anyone else fall into this category of looking forward to making some extra money over a period of time and then fail to take full advantage of it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment