Monday, May 24, 2010

Jethro??

Who is Jethro? Jethro is a married man who serves God, his wife, and his country. Jethro was a nickname I was given working at Wilford Hall Medical Center in San Antonio, TX. I am a Biomedical Equipment Technician for the US Air Force. I didn’t know what else to do when I left high school and wasn’t heading to college even though I graduated with a high enough GPA to go where ever I wanted. With no goals or aspirations I ended up in the Air Force. 6+ years later, I have been deployed 3 times to Iraq, stationed in Texas, and looking forward to finishing out a full career in the Air Force. See I happened to stagger into something I had no goal to accomplish. I joined the Air Force out of whim. Don’t get me wrong I am proud of what I had accomplished and to be honest I probably couldn’t have dreamed of any of this nor would I want to change any of it.

Married to my wife for over 5 years now, we have accomplished a lot together. Once again, I don’t think either us have planned or dreamed of being where we are when we were in younger. The fact we got married knowing very little about life and what to do if we ever needed anything. My wife has been a wonderful addition to my life and in a way I think we have been perfect for one another. We have both pushed each other to be better and we were what the other person was missing before we met.
In 2006, just a little over a year of being married we started something that would change our lives forever. My wife signed us up for Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University. It is a 13 week crash course on finances and life. We learned a lot about each other and about money. Things we were never taught in school or by our parents. It took us a little over a year and we were debt free. It is something that we are both proud of and something that we accomplished together. The thing is we had a goal and I think it might have been the first goal that I ever set in my life and we accomplished it.

“Winners compare their achievements with their goals, while losers compare their achievements with those of other people.” – Nido Qubein

I guess the big point here is goals are a powerful thing and having someone with you on these goals helps big time. Since becoming debt free we have purchased a house, we have 2 paid for cars, she is finishing school, and we are thinking about having kids. We know we aren’t set for life but we know we are free. We aren’t slaves to lenders and that feels good. We don’t have everything figured out and probably never will but we are happy together and looking forward to our future.
We will be making some more goals together and as individuals and I will post them soon enough. Hopefully, this entry helps some of you to know who I am and maybe that will help you understand where I come from on some comments.

0 comments:

Post a Comment